Submissions to Dear Reader are open on a rolling basis. If submissions are closed it will be formally announced here, and on the Dear Reader social media channels.
Please note: We acknowledge that submission guidelines can be a tricky beast to tame. However, please do read the outlined suggestions carefully, as adhering to them can make the submission/response process that bit easier for everyone. Thank you.
If you have a question that hasn't been answered here, you may be able to find what you're looking for on our FAQ page.
How to submit:
- Please send 1 - 3 unpublished poems, attached as a doc. to Charley and Talis at firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no set line count but we ask that you only submit work of a reasonable length (please try not to exceed two A4 pages).
- Please include a short bio, no more than 75 words, that will be included alongside your work should it be accepted for publication.
- Please ensure that your work is proofread and therefore clean of typos.
- Please do not send simultaneous submissions.
- If your work is published by us, all we ask is that you credit us should your work be published again, but beyond that we hold no claims or rights to your original work.
- There is no set theme or style, nor are there any topics that are 'off limits', as such. However, we do ask that you be respectful to our / your readership and to avoid topics that would be classified as hate speech, or anything similar. Hate Speech, being: 'Expressions of hatred toward someone on account of that person's colour, race, disability, nationality (including citizenship), ethnic or national origin, religion, gender identity, or sexual orientation is forbidden.'
- We don't mind swearing but it doesn't increase (or decrease) your chances of being published, so please make sure you're swearing for the right reasons.
We look forward to reading your work!