'Dear Reader, what kind of poems are you looking for?'
The answer to this question could get a little too long-winded, so in the interest of keeping things short and sweet: I (Charley) am looking for something that makes me feel. It might seem like an abstract answer, but anything that looks at something in close detail, or looks at something anew, anything that gives away a little piece of the author and leaves me with a, 'Hm', feeling, is exactly what I'd like for Dear Reader.
To give something a little more concrete, here are some please do's for submitting:
- Make sure that your work is edited and proofed, because it breaks my heart to turn down a poem just because it hasn't been cooked for long enough
- Have a look at what has been published so far; it's very early days for the site so I'm publishing things that really stand out and pull me in, so previous publications is a great way to start
- Try to be respectful to others, because while I want Dear Reader to be a place of free expression, I also want it to be a gentle place for readers as well
- Pick work that you're comfortable sharing, and that you're proud of; ultimately, what you submit is your decision and it has to be work that you stand by
- Provide a little cover letter, but don't feel that you have to write an essay; it's just nice to have a note from the author rather than an attachment and a blank email
There's every chance that this post will see one or two further updates as the weeks and months roll by, but for now, these are the immediate thoughts in response. If you have any queries and concerns, you're welcome to contact Dear Reader by emailing: email@example.com
I look forward to reading your work soon!